Current:Home > InvestCalifornia driving instructor accused of molesting and recording students, teen girls -Zenith Money Vision
California driving instructor accused of molesting and recording students, teen girls
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:09:41
A driving school instructor in Southern California has been arrested after police say he sexually assaulting students during lessons and also secretly recorded them during training.
Richard Joseph Banks, who worked as an instructor for American Driving School in El Cajon during the alleged crimes, was jailed without bond on Friday, San Diego Sheriff's Department records showed.
The city of El Cajon is about 15 miles from downtown San Diego.
Banks, 50, was arrested Thursday on 32 felony charges in connection to the alleged crimes, according to the agency, and is due in court to be arraigned on the charges Tuesday.
The alleged crimes, records show, include sexual battery, child abuse and molestation, possession and production of of child pornography, and installation and use of a surreptitious recording device.
The San Diego Police Department, the agency handling the case, could not immediatly be reached by USA TODAY early Friday morning.
Teacher gives top grades for sex:High school teacher gave student all "100s" in exchange for sex, prosecutors say
Students were ages 15-17, police say
But, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Banks sexually assaulted or molested 11 students, who were teenage girls, from April through November of last year.
San Diego police Capt. Mike Holden told the outlet most of the alleged victims were between age 15 and 17, and the molestations took place in northern San Diego County as well as within San Diego police jurisdiction, Holden said.
Banks also allegedly used hidden cameras in the car to record their "private" areas, the outlet reported.
'Immediately suspended': Driving school releases statement
The driving school’s owner, David Tackett, released a statement to USA TODAY Friday saying the business was "shocked to learn about the allegations" against Banks.
“His actions are his alone, and they violate the trust and policies of our company and those of the DMV regarding inappropriate behavior,” the statement reads. “He was immediately suspended when we were notified by the San Diego Police Department in November about the investigation, and he hasn’t taught any students since then."
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call San Diego police.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
He knew son was having sex with teacher:Now not only is Missouri teacher charged, so is the 16-year-old's dad, records show
veryGood! (5)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
- TikToker Campbell “Pookie” Puckett Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Jett Puckett
- Multi-State Offshore Wind Pact Weakened After Connecticut Sits Out First Selection
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Watch as dust storm that caused 20-car pileup whips through central California
- 15 new movies you'll want to stream this holiday season, from 'Emilia Perez' to 'Maria'
- Jana Duggar Reveals She's Adjusting to City Life Amid Move Away From Farm
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Certifying this year’s presidential results begins quietly, in contrast to the 2020 election
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Mariah Carey's Amazon Holiday Merch Is All I Want for Christmas—and It's Selling Out Fast!
- Deommodore Lenoir contract details: 49ers ink DB to $92 million extension
- Jana Duggar Reveals She's Adjusting to City Life Amid Move Away From Farm
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- DWTS' Gleb Savchenko Shares Why He Ended Brooks Nader Romance Through Text Message
- 2 dead in explosion at Kentucky factory that also damaged surrounding neighborhood
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones responds to CeeDee Lamb's excuse about curtains at AT&T Stadium
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
John Krasinski Reveals Wife Emily Blunt's Hilarious Response to His Sexiest Man Alive Title
Keke Palmer Says Ryan Murphy “Ripped” Into Her Over Scream Queens Schedule
Horoscopes Today, November 12, 2024
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
When is 'The Golden Bachelorette' finale? Date, time, where to watch Joan Vassos' big decision
TikToker Campbell “Pookie” Puckett Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Jett Puckett
NFL power rankings Week 11: Steelers, Eagles enjoying stealthy rises