Current:Home > FinanceAuthorities had cause to take Maine gunman into custody before mass shooting, commission finds -Zenith Money Vision
Authorities had cause to take Maine gunman into custody before mass shooting, commission finds
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 02:54:37
An independent commission investigating a mass shooting last year that left 18 dead in Maine issued an interim report Friday that found that a sheriff's office had cause to take the killer into custody beforehand and take away his guns.
Democratic Gov. Janet Mills and Attorney General Aaron Frey had assembled the commission to review both the events leading up to Oct. 25, when Army reservist Robert Card killed 18 people in a bowling alley and a bar, and the response to the attack.
Led by a former chief justice of Maine's highest court, the commission also included a former U.S. attorney and the former chief forensic psychologist for the state. It held seven sessions starting in November, hearing from law enforcement, survivors and victims' family members and members of the U.S. Army Reserve, as it explored whether anything could have been done to prevent the mass shooting and what changes should be made going forward.
Card, who was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot after a two-day search, was well known to law enforcement, and his family and fellow service members had raised concerns about his behavior, deteriorating mental health and potential for violence before the shootings.
In May, relatives warned police that Card had grown paranoid, and they expressed concern about his access to guns.
In July, Card was hospitalized in a psychiatric unit for two weeks after shoving a fellow reservist and locking himself in a motel room.
In August, the Army barred him from handling weapons while on duty and declared him nondeployable.
And in September, a fellow reservist texted an Army supervisor about his growing concerns about Card, saying, "I believe he's going to snap and do a mass shooting."
But law enforcement officials told commission members that Maine's yellow flag law makes it difficult to remove guns from potentially dangerous people.
"I couldn't get him to the door. I can't make him open the door," said Sgt. Aaron Skolfield, who visited Card's home for a welfare check in September. "If I had kicked in the door, that would've been a violation of the law."
In later testimony, those involved in the manhunt for Card that terrified residents in the shooting's aftermath acknowledged potential missed opportunities to find him.
Some of the most emotional testimony came from family members who tearfully described scenes of blood, chaos and panic followed by unfathomable loss.
Rachael Sloat, who was engaged to be married to shooting victim Peton Berwer Ross, told the committee that her heart breaks every time their 2-year-old daughter asks for her daddy.
"Where are you?" Sloat said. "Every politician, every member of law enforcement, every registered voter in the country —I want you to hear those words. 'Where are you?' Because my fellow Americans, where are you? We failed my little girl."
- In:
- Mass Shooting
- Maine
veryGood! (26)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Workers sue to overturn law that exempts Atlantic City casinos from indoor smoking ban
- Charlotte Tilbury Muse Michaela Jaé Rodriguez On Her Fave Lip Product & Why She Does Skincare at 5 A.M.
- Workers sue to overturn law that exempts Atlantic City casinos from indoor smoking ban
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- New Mexico electric vehicle mandates to remain in place as auto dealers fight the new rules
- East Coast earthquakes aren’t common, but they are felt by millions. Here’s what to know
- French diver slips on springboard, falls into pool during Paris Olympics inauguration
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Workers sue to overturn law that exempts Atlantic City casinos from indoor smoking ban
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Fact-checking 'Scoop': The true story behind Prince Andrew's disastrous BBC interview
- Ohio teacher should be fired for lying about sick days to attend Nashville concert, board says
- EPA head Regan defends $20B green bank: ‘I feel really good about this program’
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- New York inmates who claimed lockdown was religious violation will be able to see eclipse
- Maryland lawmakers finalizing $63B budget with some tax, fee increases
- Sen. Jacky Rosen places $14 million ad reservation in key Nevada Senate race
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Workers sue to overturn law that exempts Atlantic City casinos from indoor smoking ban
Judge dismisses lawsuit of injured Dakota Access pipeline protester
Inmates all abuzz after first honey harvest as beekeepers in training
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Final Four bold predictions: How the men's semifinals of March Madness will unfold
Luke Fleurs, South African soccer star and Olympian, killed in hijacking at gas station
Angelina Jolie claims ex Brad Pitt had 'history of physical abuse' in new court filing