Current:Home > ContactFBI updates photo of University of Wisconsin bomber wanted for 53 years -Zenith Money Vision
FBI updates photo of University of Wisconsin bomber wanted for 53 years
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 06:53:04
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — More than 50 years after a Vietnam War-era bombing on the University of Wisconsin campus that killed a researcher, the FBI on Thursday released age-processed photographs of a suspect who has thus far evaded law enforcement and been referred to as “Wisconsin’s state ghost.”
Leo Burt was placed on the FBI’s most wanted list immediately after the 1970 bombing of Sterling Hall and remains the last fugitive sought by the FBI in connection with radical anti-Vietnam War activities.
The bombers parked a stolen van packed with fertilizer and fuel outside the university’s Army Math Research Center in Sterling Hall and lit the fuse in the early morning hours of Aug. 24, 1970. The bomb attack, which was the nation’s most powerful until the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, killed 33-year-old graduate student Robert Fassnacht, who was doing research in the middle of the night. It also injured other people and caused millions of dollars in damage. The bombers fled to Canada.
Three of the four wanted men were captured in the 1970s after trying to live underground. They were convicted, served short prison terms and resumed their lives.
Burt, who grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs, came to Wisconsin on an ROTC scholarship and joined the rowing team, vanished. One former prosecutor called him “Wisconsin’s state ghost.”
The FBI received tips and alleged sightings from all over the world for decades, often spiking around anniversaries of the bombing. Some theorize that Burt is dead, while others compare him to D.B. Cooper, the hijacker who disappeared after parachuting out of an airliner with $200,000. There was even a theory in the 1990s, proven untrue with Theodore Kaczynski’s arrest, that he may have been the Unabomber.
The FBI continues to offer $150,000 for information leading to Burt’s arrest.
The FBI’s Milwaukee field office on Thursday released the photos that envision Burt as a 75-year-old man. The photo was done in conjunction with the 53rd anniversary of the bombing, which was last week, said FBI spokesperson Leonard Peace.
In his photo from 1970, Burt is wearing glasses and has a full head of dark, curly hair. In the new age-processed depiction, he is mostly bald and shown with and without glasses.
Madison attorney Lester Pines, 73, was a UW student at the time of the bombing. As a young attorney in 1975 he was part of a team that defended one of the bombers.
“If the FBI is correct, Leo Burt’s visage has changed much worse than mine has,” Pines said in reaction to the updated photo simulation. “I guess that Leo has not taken good care of himself, if he’s even still alive.”
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- NFL Week 2 picks: With Aaron Rodgers gone, can Jets get past Cowboys for 2-0 start?
- Braves star Ronald Acuña Jr. calls out Phillies manager over perceived celebration jab
- Imagine making shadowy data brokers erase your personal info. Californians may soon live the dream
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Horoscopes Today, September 14, 2023
- Why There's No Easy Fix for Prince Harry and Prince William's Relationship
- EU faces deadline on extending Ukrainian grain ban as countries threaten to pass their own
- 'Most Whopper
- Families challenge North Dakota’s ban on gender-affirming care for children
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Milwaukee suburb delaying start of Lake Michigan water withdrawals to early October
- You Have to CO2 Brie Larson in Lessons In Chemistry Trailer
- Katharine McPhee and David Foster Speak Out After Death of Son Rennie's Nanny
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Venice won't be listed as one of the world's most endangered sites
- Families challenge North Dakota’s ban on gender-affirming care for children
- NSYNC is back! Hear a snippet of the group's first new song in 20 years
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
The Red Sox have fired Chaim Bloom as they stumble toward a third last-place finish in 4 seasons
More than 700 million people don’t know when — or if — they will eat again, UN food chief says
Czech court cancels lower court ruling that acquitted former PM Babis of fraud charges
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Psychedelic drug MDMA eases PTSD symptoms in a study that paves the way for possible US approval
Climate protesters around the world are calling for an end to fossils fuels as the Earth heats up
On movie screens in Toronto, home is a battleground