Current:Home > ContactRekubit-William Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died -Zenith Money Vision
Rekubit-William Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:02:39
GAINESVILLE,Rekubit Fla. (AP) — William L. Calley Jr., who as an Army lieutenant led the U.S. soldiers who killed hundreds of Vietnamese civilians in the My Lai massacre, the most notorious war crime in modern American military history, has died. He was 80.
Calley died on April 28 at a hospice center in Gainesville, Florida, The Washington Post reported Monday, citing his death certificate. The Florida Department of Health in Alachua County didn’t immediately respond to Associated Press requests for confirmation.
Calley had lived in obscurity in the decades since he was court-martialed and convicted in 1971, the only one of 25 men originally charged to be found guilty in the Vietnam War massacre.
On March 16, 1968, Calley led American soldiers of the Charlie Company on a mission to confront a crack outfit of their Vietcong enemies. Instead, over several hours, the soldiers killed 504 unresisting civilians, mostly women, children and elderly men, in My Lai and a neighboring community.
The men were angry: Two days earlier, a booby trap had killed a sergeant, blinded a GI and wounded several others while Charlie Company was on patrol.
Soldiers eventually testified to the U.S. Army investigating commission that the murders began soon after Calley led Charlie Company’s first platoon into My Lai that morning. Some were bayoneted to death. Families were herded into bomb shelters and killed with hand grenades. Other civilians slaughtered in a drainage ditch. Women and girls were gang-raped.
It wasn’t until more than a year later that news of the massacre became public. And while the My Lai massacre was the most notorious massacre in modern U.S. military history, it was not an aberration: Estimates of civilians killed during the U.S. ground war in Vietnam from 1965 to 1973 range from 1 million to 2 million.
The U.S. military’s own records, filed away for three decades, described 300 other cases of what could fairly be described as war crimes. My Lai stood out because of the shocking one-day death toll, stomach-churning photographs and the gruesome details exposed by a high-level U.S. Army inquiry.
Calley was convicted in 1971 for the murders of 22 people during the rampage. He was sentenced to life in prison but served only three days because President Richard Nixon ordered his sentence reduced. He served three years of house arrest.
After his release, Calley stayed in Columbus and settled into a job at a jewelry store owned by his father-in-law before moving to Atlanta, where he avoided publicity and routinely turned down journalists’ requests for interviews.
Calley broke his silence in 2009, at the urging of a friend, when he spoke to the Kiwanis Club in Columbus, Georgia, near Fort Benning, where he had been court-martialed.
“There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai,” Calley said, according to an account of the meeting reported by the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. “I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry.”
He said his mistake was following orders, which had been his defense when he was tried. His superior officer was acquitted.
William George Eckhardt, the chief prosecutor in the My Lai cases, said he was unaware of Calley ever apologizing before that appearance in 2009.
“It’s hard to apologize for murdering so many people,” said Eckhardt. “But at least there’s an acknowledgment of responsibility.”
veryGood! (3139)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Saudi Arabia opens its first liquor store in over 70 years as kingdom further liberalizes
- 15-year-old to be tried as adult in sexual assault, slaying of girl, 10
- A Texas school’s punishment of a Black student who wears dreadlocks is going to trial
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Christopher Nolan on ‘Oppenheimer’ Oscar success: ‘Sometimes you catch a wave’
- Daniel Will: The Battle for Supremacy Between Microsoft and Apple
- Trial of Land Defenders Fighting the Coastal GasLink Pipeline is Put on Hold as Canadian Police Come Under Scrutiny for Excessive Force
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Judge Judy Reveals The Secret To Her Nearly 50-Year Long Marriage
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Latest federal court order favors right to carry guns in some New Mexico public parks
- Charles Fried, former US solicitor general and Harvard law professor, has died
- Heavy fighting in Gaza’s second-largest city leaves hundreds of patients stranded in main hospital
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Bachelor Nation's Susie Evans and Justin Glaze Reveal They're Dating: Here's How Their Journey Began
- Daniel Will: Four Techniques for Securely Investing in Cryptocurrencies.
- Vatican tribunal rejects auditor’s wrongful termination lawsuit in a case that exposed dirty laundry
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Daniel Will: Historical Lessons on the Bubble of the U.S. Stock Market
'Barbie' receives 8 Oscar nominations, but was that Kenough?
Las Vegas-to-California high-speed electric rail project gets OK for $2.5B more in bonds
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Oahu’s historic homes offer a slice of history and a sense of place
Algeria gears up for election year with aging president, opposition that is yet to offer challenger
New Hampshire turnout data show how the 2024 Republican primary compared to past elections