Current:Home > InvestTree of Life synagogue demolition begins ahead of rebuilding site of deadly antisemitic attack -Zenith Money Vision
Tree of Life synagogue demolition begins ahead of rebuilding site of deadly antisemitic attack
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:34:16
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Demolition got underway Wednesday at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, the site of the deadliest antisemitic attack in U.S. history, as part of the effort to reimagine the building to honor the 11 people who were killed there in 2018.
The demolition work began slowly, with crews picking away at the building’s exterior.
Most of the building will be removed, although portions of the sanctuary walls will be preserved. The new building will include spaces for worship, a museum, an education center and a movie theater.
Carole Zawatsky, who heads the new nonprofit overseeing the project, was at the site as demolition began. She said she had a mix of emotions, including feeling bittersweet knowing why the old building was being demolished but also feeling tremendous excitement about seeing the project moving forward. It was sobering and a physical manifestation of healing, she said.
“It is an incredible symbol of great resilience and moving forward,” she said.
The Oct. 27, 2018, attack claimed the lives of 11 worshippers from three congregations meeting at the synagogue – Dor Hadash, New Light and Tree of Life. The three have been meeting at nearby synagogues since then.
In a related project, a memorial to the victims is being planned for a site just outside the synagogue.
The process of planning that memorial was left to representatives of the congregations and victims’ families.
The design calls for a walkway that will lead visitors into garden memorial with 11 sculpted forms of open books, each representing one of the people who were killed.
They represent the “Book of Life,” where, according to Jewish tradition, the righteous are named.
The man who killed the congregants was sentenced to death last year, after the conclusion of a long-delayed federal trial.
veryGood! (56834)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Elevate Your Self-Care With an 86% Discount on Serums From Augustinus Bader, Caudalie, Oribe, and More
- This week on Sunday Morning (August 13)
- Florida education commissioner skips forum on criticized Black history standards
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- As new school term begins, Kentucky governor points to progress with school safety efforts
- 'Burnt down to ashes': Families search for missing people in Maui as death count climbs
- Texas judge says no quick ruling expected over GOP efforts to toss 2022 election losses near Houston
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Virgin Galactic launch live stream: Watch Galactic 02 mission with civilians on board
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Snake in a toilet: Slithering visitor to Arizona home camps out where homeowner least expects it
- 7 Amazon device deals on Amazon Fire Sticks, Ring doorbells and Eero Wi-Fi routers
- Aaron Carter’s Twin Sister Angel Buries His Ashes
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- FEC moves toward potentially regulating AI deepfakes in campaign ads
- Lil Tay says she’s alive, claims her social media was hacked: Everything we know
- 'Henry Hamlet’s Heart' and more LGBTQ books to read if you loved 'Heartstopper'
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
$8.5 billion acquisition puts fashion giants Versace, Coach and Michael Kors under one company
'Burnt down to ashes': Families search for missing people in Maui as death count climbs
Pink Concertgoer Names Baby in Singer’s Honor After Going Into Labor at Show
What to watch: O Jolie night
Shop Aerie's 40% Off Leggings and Sports Bras Sale for All Your Activewear & Athleisure Needs
Another Threshold candle recall? Target recalls 2.2 million products over burn and laceration risks
Prosecutors seek Jan. 2 trial date for Donald Trump in his 2020 election conspiracy case