Current:Home > InvestJury convicts former Kentucky officer of using excessive force on Breonna Taylor during deadly raid -Zenith Money Vision
Jury convicts former Kentucky officer of using excessive force on Breonna Taylor during deadly raid
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:42:16
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A federal jury on Friday convicted a former Kentucky police detective of using excessive force on Breonna Taylor during a botched 2020 drug raid that left her dead.
The 12-member jury returned the late-night verdict after clearing Brett Hankison earlier in the evening on a charge that he used excessive force on Taylor’s neighbors.
It was the first conviction of a Louisville police officer who was involved in the deadly raid.
Some members of the jury were in tears as the verdict was read around 9:30 p.m. They had earlier indicated to the judge in two separate messages that they were deadlocked on the charge of using excessive force on Taylor, but chose to continue deliberating. The six-man, six-woman jury deliberated for more than 20 hours over three days.
Taylor’s mother, Tamika Palmer, celebrated the verdict with friends outside the federal courthouse, saying: “It took a lot of time. It took a lot of patience. It was hard. The jurors took their time to really understand that Breonna deserved justice.”
In a statement posted to social media Saturday, the Louisville Metro Police Department said that it respects the jury’s verdict and that since 2020, it has improved training, practices and policies and implemented reforms emphasizing “accountability and thorough investigations.”
“It is not lost on us that this event forever altered the fabric of our community, and we acknowledge the pain caused by the death of Breonna Taylor,” the department said. “Our officers are sworn to protect and serve the community, upholding the law with integrity and fairness. We condemn any behavior that runs afoul of the mission to help and protect our citizens.”
“Breonna Taylor’s life mattered,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division. “We hope the jury’s verdict recognizing this violation of Ms. Taylor’s civil and constitutional rights brings some small measure of comfort to her family and loved ones who have suffered so deeply from the tragic events of March 2020.”
Hankison fired 10 shots into Taylor’s glass door and windows during the raid, but didn’t hit anyone. Some shots flew into a next-door neighbor’s adjoining apartment.
The death of the 26-year-old Black woman, along with the May 2020 police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis sparked racial injustice protests nationwide.
Bernice King, the daughter of Martin Luther King Jr., called the verdict “a long-awaited moment of accountability.”
“While it cannot restore Breonna to her family, it represents a crucial step in the pursuit of justice and a reminder that no one should be above the law,” King said in a social media post Friday night.
A separate jury deadlocked on federal charges against Hankison last year, and he was acquitted on state charges of wanton endangerment in 2022.
The conviction against Hankison carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. He will be sentenced on March 12 by U.S. District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings.
Hankison, 48, argued throughout the trial that he was acting to protect his fellow officers after Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired on them when they broke down Taylor’s door with a battering ram.
This jury sent a note on Thursday to the judge asking whether they needed to know if Taylor was alive as Hankison fired his shots.
That was a point of contention during closing arguments, when Hankison’s attorney Don Malarcik told the jury that prosecutors must “prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Ms. Taylor was alive” when Hankison fired.
After the jury sent the question, Jennings urged them to keep deliberating.
Walker shot and wounded one of the officers. Hankison testified that when Walker fired, he moved away, rounded the corner of the apartment unit and fired into Taylor’s glass door and a window.
Meanwhile, officers at the door returned Walker’s fire, hitting and killing Taylor, who was in a hallway.
Hankison’s lawyers argued during closing statements Wednesday that Hankison was acting properly “in a very tense, very chaotic environment” that lasted about 12 seconds. They emphasized that Hankison’s shots didn’t hit anyone.
Hankison was one of four officers charged by the U.S. Department of Justice in 2022 with violating Taylor’s civil rights. Hankison’s verdict is the second conviction from those cases. The first was a plea deal from a former officer who was not at the raid and became a cooperating witness in another case.
Malarcik, Hankison’s attorney, spoke at length during closing arguments about the role of Taylor’s boyfriend, who fired the shot that hit former Sgt. John Mattingly at the door. He said Walker never tried to come to the door or turn the lights on as police were knocking and instead armed himself and hid in the dark.
“Brett Hankison was 12 inches away from being shot by Kenneth Walker,” Malarcik said.
Prosecutors said Hankison acted recklessly, firing 10 shots into doors and a window where he couldn’t see a target.
They said in closing arguments that Hankison “violated one of the most fundamental rules of deadly force: If they cannot see the person they’re shooting at, they cannot pull the trigger.”
Neither of the officers who shot Taylor — Mattingly and former Detective Myles Cosgrove — were charged in Taylor’s death. Federal and state prosecutors have said those officers were justified in returning fire, since Taylor’s boyfriend shot at them first.
veryGood! (12)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Pink's 12-year-old daughter Willow debuts shaved head
- Funeral of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny to be held on Friday, his spokesperson says
- Army personnel file shows Maine reservist who killed 18 people received glowing reviews
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Madonna removes Luther Vandross' photo from AIDS tribute shown during her Celebration Tour
- TikTokers are using blue light to cure acne. Dermatologists say it's actually a good idea.
- Funeral of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny to be held on Friday, his spokesperson says
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- In today's global migrant crisis, echoes of Dorothea Lange's American photos
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- How Hakeem Jeffries’ Black Baptist upbringing and deep-rooted faith shapes his House leadership
- Family Dollar's rat-infested warehouse, damaged products, lead to $41.6 million fine
- Beyoncé's country music is causing a surge in cowboy fashion, according to global searches
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Max Strus hits game-winning buzzer-beater in Cleveland Cavaliers' win vs. Dallas Mavericks
- At lyrics trial, Don Henley recounts making Eagles classic Hotel California and says he was not a drug-filled zombie
- Toronto Blue Jays reliever Erik Swanson away from team after 4-year-old son gets hit by car
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
AI chatbots are serving up wildly inaccurate election information, new study says
Damaging storms bring hail and possible tornadoes to parts of the Great Lakes
Funeral of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny to be held on Friday, his spokesperson says
Sam Taylor
Supreme Court grapples with whether to uphold ban on bump stocks for firearms
Kids play hockey more skillfully and respectfully than ever, yet rough stuff still exists on the ice
Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules